Publish date: 2017/05/17 | Expire date: 2017/06/18 | Author: Pia Prebevšek
The visualization research group (http://www.ii.UiB.no/vis/) at the Department of Informatics of the University of Bergen, Norway (UiB), is seeking motivated and capable new PhD students who wish to pursue cutting-edge visualization research in a stimulating and dynamic international environment.
Currently there are vacancies for PhD fellowships (up to two positions) in the MetaVis project led by Prof. Stefan Bruckner (http://www.ii.uib.no/vis/team/bruckner) and funded by the Research Council of Norway. The project aims to study the space of visualizations itself and how it can be efficiently and effectively navigated. The goal is to develop interactive visual methods to enable users in choosing appropriate visualization techniques for particular types of data and tasks. The topic for the thesis can be chosen within this broad range to suit the strengths and interests of the PhD candidate.
We are looking for motivated and skilled individuals with a strong interest in data visualization to join the project team. Suitable candidates should:
- have completed (or be close to finishing) their master's degree in visualization, computer graphics, or human-computer interaction
- have excellent programming skills (very good GPU programming skills, in particular, are a plus)
- have very good written and oral English communication skills
- be able to work independently and in a structured manner
- an international and professionally challenging working environment
- opportunities for research exchanges with collaborating labs
- full health and welfare benefits including enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- a 4-year contract, with a yearly starting salary of NOK 435K (approx. EUR 47K / USD 51K)
*) Online application (deadline: June 18, 2017)
Please direct any questions to Prof. Stefan Bruckner (Stefan.Bruckner@UiB.no).